Curious about pet play (kitten)

KittiKatAngel

Kinky Newbie
  • Bisexual
  • Female
  • Switch
Jul 10, 2015
As the title states, I'm curious as to how this lifestyle plays out. Also given my username, I'm more interested as to how play geared towards being a cat consists of, but feel free to add ideas that can work on any animal.

So, how do I begin this? It's one thing looking the part but another actually playing it. What are some basic aspects/roles to begin with? How can it be built up? What's the most extreme it could possibly get?

Thanks in advance :)

df6wen

Kink Talk Member
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Dominant
May 6, 2008
Houston area
Placeholder

My Owner and I have been asked to do a demo on puppy play. Please let me know what you think and if you think I have missed anything. Also if you wish you are more than welcomed to PM me your thoughts. There will be many edits on this as it comes together. This information can be used with all types of role and animal play but please keep in mind I was asked to only hit on puppy play specifically.

Puppy Play:

What is puppy play?

Defined in my own words puppy play can be extremely primal and can be to the opposite of extremely nurture. Basic principles is a person acting in the role of a dog or puppy in some form. I say some form as not all puppies are running around barking and chewing on sticks. Some can be a minimal as some slight characteristics of dog like behavior.

From the urban dictionary puppy play is defined as “Appearing, behaving, and being treated like a puppy. Often found in sexual role-playing scenarios.”
From Sirius Pup defined as “Human pup play is simply a person losing their clothes and inhibitions and behaving like a dog to an extent. There can be a deep intense role play, with a human pup exploring the world from all fours and forming a deep bond with an Owner. Or it can be light hearted fetish play.”

From NEPups defined as “Puppy play is when one person takes on the role of a pup or dog and another takes that of the handler or trainer. The pup acts like their canine counterpart and the trainer, for the most part, handles the pup like he would a biological pup. It's not necessarily a sexual play, though it can be. For many it serves as a release of the animal part of them. It is not is bestiality: real animals are not involved.”

History (Note: this one is lacking serious info and will be majorly updated)

There is evidence that animal role play started as far back as the time of the pyramids with Egyptian god Anubis and people acting out ritual on the god’s behalf. This god has a dog head and a human body. A short time after the Egyptians the Greeks also had a dog like god Hermanubis. The puppy play we see today at BDSM/kink events, leather events, pride parades and fairs became a popular staple in the gay leather community in the 1970’s and is now one of the fastest growing forms of kink.

Terminology

- “Pup” “puppy” “dog” – The person that is in the acting role of the puppy.
- “Handler” “Owner” “Trainer” “Master” “Mistress” “Dominant” etc. – The person that is in control or taking care of the puppy.
- “Mosh” “Pile” – A place where 2 or more puppies come together to play, wrestle, and have fun.
- “Pupspace” “Headspace” – This is the term used when a person is fully in the mindset of a puppy.
- “Pack” – A close group of puppy play enthusiast including pups, handlers, and their admirers.
- “Alpha” – This is a term used in the hierarchy of a pack and also to define pups side of the slash. An alpha pup is the top dog and is typically more dominant and aggressive. These are typically referencing a wolf pack hierarchy.
- “Beta” – This is a term used in the hierarchy of a pack and also to define pups side of the slash. A beta pup is typically the second in command and still more dominant and aggressive. These are typically referencing a wolf pack hierarchy.
- “collared” “uncollared” “owned” “unowned” “stray” – These are terms of the status of the pup. “Collared” and “Owned” means the pup has a full time handler that may or may not be their relationship partner outside of puppy play time. “Uncollared” “unowned” and “Stray” means the pup does not have a handler full time. Sometimes these pups choose to have a handler for a certain play scene or multiple play scenes. Sometimes they choose to roam freely.
- “Breed” –
- “Gear” – The items used to help the pup and handler get into pupspace like hoods, collars, tails, mitts, etc. and also used for protection like knee pads, socks, mitts, etc.

Common Mosh pit rules

These are some of the rules I have come across. Not all of these rules are used by any club and I am sure there are many more that are not listed.
1. The mosh pit can be a rough and tumble place where pups romp, wrestle and play. So some things to remember -
Do’s
Do wear something that is comfy and cool - things like singlets, tshirts, etc are great
Do wear soft soled shoes - martial arts, toe shoes or wrestling shoes are good
Do wear something that will keep your hands safe - MMA Gloves and some mitts are good (even socks)
Do make sure and wear knee pads if you have them
Do make sure you drink lots of water - If you feel thirsty stop and drink water, diluted gatorade or similar
Do make sure you don’t over do it - If you feel dizzy or really tired stop and rest
Do make sure a first aid kit/band aids are available
Do use toys that can be washed - squeak toys and empty plastic bottles are great!
De be aware if there are treats, you ask before you eat them and alert of food allergies before.
Don’ts
Don’t wear body jewelry - If you can’t take it out, tape it down
Don’t wear clothes with lots of zippers, spikes, studs on them
Don’t wear combat boots, hard shoes, etc
Don’t use plush squeak toys or other toys that can’t be sanitized.
Don’t keep playing if you are bleeding. Stop and get cleaned up and bandaged before going back in.
Above from https://www.facebook.com/MidwestPuppyContest/posts/…

1. NO hard shoes on the mats. Socks, slippers, sneakers, and wrestling shoes are ok, but hard-soled boots must be removed.
2. NO "hardware". For example, belts, watches, earrings, exposed body jewelry, etc.; other than collars. All non-removable body jewelry must be covered by clothing or tape to minimize the risk of injury.
3. NO sharp or pointy things. Gear with studs is ok, as long as the studs aren't longer than about 1/4" (i.e. no spikes).
4. Protective gear is HIGHLY recommended. Knee pads, elbow pads, paw protection, mouth guards, etc. If you don't have pads for your paws, try a double pair of socks on your hands to help reduce "rug burn".
5. Wear MINIMAL attire. PLEASE remember to remove anything of excess. Basic collars are fine and appropriate, but no earrings, necklaces, bracelets, belts, etc. We recommend wearing shorts or a singlet, comfortable soft boots or shoes, and for girls, a top or a bra to provide support and be "legal".
6. Use caution. When engaging in play that involves pulling with the teeth or mouth (e.g., Tug-of-War, etc.) please use caution to minimize the risk of damaging teeth. If someone else in the mosh pit is not conforming to the rules of the mosh pit, advise the person in charge and don’t join in if you aren’t comfortable.
7. Hydrate. Pups put out a bunch of energy and need water. Take frequent water breaks. This is especially true in Denver due to our high altitude and arid climate.
8. Snacks. Please do not bring any snacks to Puppies in the Mountains. Several of our participants are highly allergic to ingredients commonly found in snack-type foods. They can have reactions from merely coming into contact with a toy that was in the mouth of a pup that ate something containing the ingredient. Puppies in the Mountains will provide suitable snacks for everyone.
9. Handlers. Handlers/Trainers are welcome to play with the pups. Proper protocol is to place your hand out toward the pup and call them. If they come to you, you are welcome to pet or play with them. If they don't respond to you, don't be offended. They may be owned and trained not to respond to strangers, or they may just want to do their own thing.
Above from http://www.puppiesinthemountains.com/MoshPitRules.h….

Gear used and its purpose

- Hoods, muzzles, ears, etc – These can be leather, neoprene, fabric, latex, and many other forms of material. This material typically is molded into the breed the pup most identifies with. The hood is used as a tool to help the pup get into pupspace as it hides the identity of the human and also gives the pup the appearance of a real dog.
- Tails – A tail can also be used in many materials like silicone, leather, yarn, real fur, faux fur, etc. The tail is typically attached with a belt or used as a butt plug.
- Collars – A collar can be as simple as a dog collar from Walmart and as extensive as a custom made titanium chainmail collar. Some puppies have a play collar and an everyday collar. Some use the same for both. The everyday collar can be something that is not as obvious that it is a collar for those that cannot have one for work or family issues The everyday collar can be but not limited to a necklace, a bracelet, an anklet, etc. A play collar is typical a more durable collar so a leash can be used and also to be able to hold up in a mosh pit play atmosphere.
- Leash – This one is pretty self-explanatory. Can be leather, nylon webbing, rope, chain, chainmail, and many more materials.
- Harnesses – Some pups like to use a harness. These are made out of leather, neoprene, nylon webbing, etc. Sometimes the harness is just used as part of the wardrobe and a tool to get into pupspace. Sometimes the harness is used as a leash anchor point as well.
- Knee pads – Knee pads are highly recommended for any pups that plan to go on all fours. Knee pads come in many different shapes, sizes, and materials depending on the terrain and style of play of the pup.
- Mitts – Mitts cover the pups hands. To some pups this is an important part of getting into pupspace to lose the use of their hands. Some mitts are even able to be locked on to prevent the pup from removing them. Some mitts are padded to help protect the pups hands. Mitts can be made out many different types of material with most common being leather. A great cheap alternative to the ones designed for puppy play is boxing or MMA gloves.
- Socks – Socks are similar to mitts but used on the feet. Socks are important to protect the top of the pups feet when they are on all fours as this is a common place for rug burn. Some pups just use a couple pair of socks and some get custom locking leather ones to match their hand mitts. Another growing in popularity sock item is the Vibrams 5 finger shoes.
- Water and food bowls – Not all pups use bowls as it can be hard to drink especially ones with hoods that cover their mouths. To some pups a bowl is important to achieve the pupspace. The ideal bowls are either smaller with a shallow rim or extremely large ones that the pup can fit the full head into. It is always good to try and find one with minimal slope so the pup can reach the corners. I have found some great bowls at the dollar stores.
- Caging/crating – Can be made out of wood, metal, and plastic. Crates are not required but can be used as another tool in the puppy play fun.

Myths

- The first myth goes two ways. The first way is “Puppy play has to have sex involved and is just a form of sexual role play” and the way is “Puppy play is not about sex but only about the head space.” Both of these are wrong. Puppy play can be many things to many people. Puppy play can also be different to the same people at different times. There is no wrong or right way to do it but only what makes you happy.
- The second myth is that you can only be a puppy or a handler. This is similar to the BDSM myth of you having to be a top or a bottom. Just like in BDSM you can switch. Some even switch in the same night of play. In fact it is not all that uncommon for pups to handle other pups or a person that is typically a handler to rarely want to pup out themselves.
- Butt plug tails – It is a common myth that pups have to use a butt plug tail. While some enjoy this not all do. I personally prefer a belt tail as it is less of a distraction on discomfort during play.
- Gear – A common myth is you need a bunch of gear to pup out. That is not true. The gear does help pupspace and also protects you but if you are careful and not too rambunctious you can pup out with no gear at all. Some pups even don’t run around but are more of the cuddly kind that don’t require any gear.
- Humiliation – This is a common myth that puppy play is a form of humiliation. While this can be true to some it is not true to others. My puppy side is only about love and care and is not degrading at all.
- Food – Do not ever feed a human pup biodog food without checking the safety first. Most dog foods have ingredients that are not human safe and can even kill you. There are some that are safe but most pups use things like cocoa puffs or canned corned beef hash that is made out of human grade ingredients that resemble dog food in place.
- All fours – One thing I get a lot of is people telling me that they wish they can be a puppy but they can’t because of a medical problem. You do not need to be running around playing tugowar to be a puppy. Puppy play is 99% mental. Scooby Doo runs around on two legs all the time.
- Puppies are submissive. While it is more common for a puppy to be the submissive role in a relationship there are many pups that when not engaging in puppy play are the top or dominant. This goes back to that there is no wrong way to do this.

Resources:

-International Puppy - http://www.internationalpuppycontest.com/default.ht… - A great resource for puppy play information.
-Sirius Pup - http://www.siriuspup.net/ - A great educational website based out of Australia that covers many aspects of puppy play including but not limited to training, packs, what pup play is, etc.
-Pupzone - http://www.pupzone.com/ - This is a forum based source with tons of great information.
-NoSafeWord Podcast - http://nosafeword.com - This is a podcast with many interviews with some of the most respected puppy players nationwide.
- The Happy Puppy - http://thehappypup.com/ - A great website that gets into the head space, misconceptions, and covers gear really well.

Last edited:

Nick30497

Kinky Newbie
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Dominant
Aug 25, 2015
Well if you wanna be a kitty you should start by having a tail in your ass and some cat ears. Then you need 2 bowls (food and water) and also a sandbox where you must defecate or piss. And finally you must disobey any rule your owner gives you.
Cats...

selina_kyle

Banned
  • Straight
  • Female
  • Dominant
Feb 5, 2015
Well if you wanna be a kitty you should start by having a tail in your ass and some cat ears. Then you need 2 bowls (food and water) and also a sandbox where you must defecate or piss. And finally you must disobey any rule your owner gives you.
Cats...

Really? Well your rules might apply to you, but as usual it is all about likes, dislikes, limits, etc. Each D/s relationship is different so what you might consider suitable for pet play might not be for her and her dom. Thought of that? Of course not. Reason is more than obvious.

KittiKatAngel

Kinky Newbie
  • Bisexual
  • Female
  • Switch
Jul 10, 2015
Really? Well your rules might apply to you, but as usual it is all about likes, dislikes, limits, etc. Each D/s relationship is different so what you might consider suitable for pet play might not be for her and her dom. Thought of that? Of course not. Reason is more than obvious.
Thanks. Everyone's responses actually gave me quite a bit of insight of what I will, won't, can, and cannot do as far as this goes.

Having a cat box is absolutely out of the question. Where I live at for one, pets are absolutely not allowed, there shouldn't be any inkling that shows I may own a pet. I could get away with the bowls however.

As far as having a butt plug tail I'd have to get my body used to anal play before I consider that.

Though the idea of mitts, kneepads and "socks" are things I never thought of. Sounds like an idea if I feel like being on all fours for quite some time.

Thanks for the feedack everyone!

df6wen

Kink Talk Member
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Dominant
May 6, 2008
Houston area
The people I hang out with who do pet play regularly recommend a belt attached tail because its less distracting and less uncomfortable. Forum.kittenplay.net might have some good answers for you.

KittiKatAngel

Kinky Newbie
  • Bisexual
  • Female
  • Switch
Jul 10, 2015
Thank you! I will definitely look into it
*update* I did look at the website and my god the skin for that forum is horrible. It looked like it had some good info otherwise

Last edited:

df6wen

Kink Talk Member
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Dominant
May 6, 2008
Houston area
Thank you! I will definitely look into it
*update* I did look at the website and my god the skin for that forum is horrible. It looked like it had some good info otherwise

Yeah it's pretty god awful. Its largely abandoned. If you have more specific questions to ask feel free to message me.

KittiKatAngel

Kinky Newbie
  • Bisexual
  • Female
  • Switch
Jul 10, 2015
Good news! I brought the idea up to my owner and he was on board with it. He still isn't sure what to do yet but we had our first session and it was great! It really opened him up to it a lot more and he's more eager to talk about ideas.

Last edited:

Featured Threads

New Personals