Exploring the new kinktalk

nina

Verified Observer
  • Bisexual
  • Female
  • Private
Apr 13, 2016
I have always been a curious person and I am sure many of the fellow kinksters here are too. Whenever there is a new interface, slowly we tend to find more efficient ways of navigating the site, some new features that are not that visible or we were not acquainted with earlier etc.

So this thread is dedicated to knowing what new features or navigation tactics others have explored and how it is useful.🤔

nina

Verified Observer
  • Bisexual
  • Female
  • Private
Apr 13, 2016
I will start off by posting what I found lurking..lol

While browsing I found clicking on staff online leads you here and once you are in that page you can see on the left hand side bar, there are many navigation options and one of them is Overview which shows notable members based on various stats like most media, most posts etc. Would surely get more active in here if people start competing to feature in this list..lol

I also like the addition of the like feature in this interface as well as other options (haha, sad, wow..) it has, as when posts are liked I think people feel motivated to post more. I feel this feature helps people get some sort of response to their thoughtful posts and is good for promoting more site activity in general.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doctor Pervert

Doctor Pervert

Retired
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Private
May 19, 2013
Love this idea nina, really cool!

Ok here's one I bet not too many are aware of, you can start responding to a post then click on something else before you hit the "Post reply" button, maybe so you can cross check a different post then return to your original post and your work will still be there.
It seems your typing will remain in this kind of draft state as long as you stay logged in.
I havent confirmed if this is the case on a phone but it works with different browsers on my laptop.

Reactions: nina

Doctor Pervert

Retired
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Private
May 19, 2013
One more, have you ever wondered how nina (and a few others) get all those cool colours and different effects in their posts?
Well the answer is most likely they used the cool edit tools in the compose window but you can also use BBCode. This has been around forever, well at least since the stone age but here it is well supported and in a lot more places than previously. These will work in your signature and most profile info boxes too, try them out sometime.
This is a good quick guide to all the basics.

nina

Verified Observer
  • Bisexual
  • Female
  • Private
Apr 13, 2016
One more, have you ever wondered how nina (and a few others) get all those cool colours and different effects in their posts?
Well the answer is most likely they used the cool edit tools in the compose window but you can also use BBCode.
Definitely the interface to use BBCode gives more options and is much more easier to use even for those who are not very tech savvy. Though the colours don't look as good on the black background as they could on a lighter background. But the many pros outweigh the cons:)

Cstelle

<:: Verified ::>
  • Bisexual
  • Male
  • Private
Apr 7, 2015
Doing a little exploring myself - but bumped into road blocks: on my Profile page I can see links:
Latest activity | Your news feed | Your profile | Your account | Log out
Clicking on them results in this:
Oops! We ran into some problems.
The news feed is currently disabled. This may be a temporary performance-saving measure if the site is very busy at present.
Just thought I'd mention...

nina

Verified Observer
  • Bisexual
  • Female
  • Private
Apr 13, 2016
Just checked my profile and like @Cstelle said, clicking the news feed gives the same message to me as well. I feel the feature has not been activated/enabled.

Having said that, I also like this new feature of using @ in front of a username (like I did above) in a post as it automatically links their profile and also sends that user a notification unless they have changed settings. So it's useful in discussion threads and elsewhere as well, kind of like tagging and you don't need to quote them or send them a pm to notify them to check your post.

Doctor Pervert

Retired
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Private
May 19, 2013
Ok I can report that the news feed is disabled and should not be visible, this is a known bug in the current xenForo release that will be fixed in the upcoming update. For now please ignore the error.
The @ is certainly handy, I just need to remember to add it, thanks @nina

nina

Verified Observer
  • Bisexual
  • Female
  • Private
Apr 13, 2016
While browsing I found clicking on staff online leads you here and once you are in that page you can see on the left hand side bar, there are many navigation options and one of them is Overview which shows notable members based on various stats like most media, most posts etc.
I also found that the same link for notable members can be reached by clicking Members in the Quick Navigation links section at the bottom of the kinktalk index page.

Another thing I found was while we can also pre-select quote/reply option to quote someone in the regular way, it can also be done while already typing a response, and wherever the cursor is in the post reply box, when you scroll above and press reply in any of the previous posts in the same thread, the quoted message will appear there for you to complete typing your response. Hope I was able to explain clearly and not confuse you with the wording..lol

Cstelle

<:: Verified ::>
  • Bisexual
  • Male
  • Private
Apr 7, 2015
Hope I was able to explain clearly and not confuse you with the wording..lol

Alas, totally confused [tl:dr :p]. But I did learn that the stuff at the scrolldownest bottom of the screen has a use!

I'm not joking! I seldom scroll all the way down on any page... Usually the last screen is just site fluff... But on KinkTalk it's apparently full flavour all the way - except....

...except that pesky old News Feed thing.... :(

It's still dead:
Oops! We ran into some problems.
The news feed is currently disabled. This may be a temporary performance-saving measure if the site is very busy at present.

Doctor Pervert

Retired
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Private
May 19, 2013
Alas, totally confused [tl:dr :p]. But I did learn that the stuff at the scrolldownest bottom of the screen has a use!

I'm not joking! I seldom scroll all the way down on any page... Usually the last screen is just site fluff... But on KinkTalk it's apparently full flavour all the way - except....

...except that pesky old News Feed thing.... :(

It's still dead:
Hopefully that should be fixed shortly, I noticed we have a pending update so just waiting on our sys-admin to install it and that News feed should be gone.

Doctor Pervert

Retired
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Private
May 19, 2013
So I found by accident that the editor window for both posts and messages contains this handy little "Drafts" button.
The little disk icon allows you to save what you are working on or delete it if you change your mind.
It is context sensitive so your draft will stay where it belongs in the thread or message you are working on until you are done with it.
This way if you have something big to post and you get interrupted you can come back to it and not lose all your work.

drafts.jpg

Featured Threads

New Personals