Paddles or Whips

Stitch

Administrator
  • Lesbian
  • Female
  • Submissive
Staff member
Apr 18, 2010
I know that many of my friends who are into BDSM have a preference as to whether they like the paddle more or the whip. Both can be used for the same reason and can have different effects on people, which is determined by the technique of the dominant.

The question is... Which one do you prefer, and why?

Leopard

• Straight
  • Male
  • Private
Mar 24, 2010
Australia
lprd.tumblr.com
Are you counting floggers as whips? Where do crops fit? What about canes? :D

With a paddle being a wide, but more importantly hard surface, it's really only appropriate for places with a lot of padding; i.e. one's behind. Whips have a lot more versatility, but I imagine would have a completely different feel to them.

I think that using a paddle to beat someone's behind would be more satisfying, but again, isn't really practical in many other places, which is when the alternatives come in.

SubMissChievous

Distinguished Member
  • Straight
  • Female
  • Private
Jan 9, 2008
Canada
Leopard said:
What about canes?

Yeah, what about them? You need to show canes more love here :D

Seriously though, I can't really make a clear choice because I like both for different reasons. I prefer harder implements as far as sensation is concerned but find myself less tolerant to this kind of pain for long spanking sessions compared with "smoother" ones. So both have there place, oh and it can be fun to switch from one to another too :p

Stitch

Administrator
  • Lesbian
  • Female
  • Submissive
Staff member
Apr 18, 2010
Yeah, what about them? You need to show canes more love here :D

Seriously though, I can't really make a clear choice because I like both for different reasons. I prefer harder implements as far as sensation is concerned but find myself less tolerant to this kind of pain for long spanking sessions compared with "smoother" ones. So both have there place, oh and it can be fun to switch from one to another too :p

:p I prefer things in pairs. (Don't ask... just one of my weird quirks.)

But hey, if you like canes, you could always just say. :) I mean... even hairbrushes!

Switching between them is also a good idea. Personally, I think Doms should become good with using their non dominant hand so they can... SLAPWHIP. :p Instead of switching every few minutes, they could alternate.

Leopard

• Straight
  • Male
  • Private
Mar 24, 2010
Australia
lprd.tumblr.com
:p I prefer things in pairs. (Don't ask... just one of my weird quirks.)

But hey, if you like canes, you could always just say. :) I mean... even hairbrushes!

Switching between them is also a good idea. Personally, I think Doms should become good with using their non dominant hand so they can... SLAPWHIP. :p Instead of switching every few minutes, they could alternate.

If you had a whip in one hand you wouldn't be in range to spank with the other :p I think that dual wield spanking is probably a bit too much on the side of geeky or silly for many people >.> But hey, whatever looks good, right?

Personally my favourite is a riding crop. And bare hand, for the sake of pairness ;)

Merlin

• Straight
  • Male
  • Dominant
Staff member
Jan 9, 2008
Germany
2 different whips work ... maybe 2 crops... because you can use them out of the same position, but for most things you are not in the right range and even more important not in the right position ... you need to be left of the sub for using your right hand be it bare hand, cane or a paddle ... but right of the sub to use your left hand... so changing the hands will not be enough so normally changing the object is as fast as changing the hand (and getting to the other side)

Nixie

Kinky Newbie
  • Bisexual
  • Female
  • Submissive
Mar 24, 2010
Hmm Good question.

Flogs: More of a stinging sensation till the burn sets in and takes over.

Paddle: Which I prefer a wooden one, Which feels more like the hand of the dom. :p

Canning: Depends on where you are at with the canning. Using it as sensuous or proper? Sensuous it can feel like a sting depending on the rom and consistency. Proper feels like your being cut and your being marked. :rolleyes: In which takes a lot more discipline.

Ok so all in all if I had to choose which. I'd say the Wooden Paddle. Second the Flog. Just person preference. And this is how it feels to me. Always depends on the person as well.

ofthenorth

Kinky Newbie
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Dominant
May 6, 2008
Gainesville
I'm more inclined to use my bare hand usually, or a personal favorite is a thick leather belt I almost always wear. The psychological effect of hearing the belt slide out of the belt loops followed by the instant sting on the ass does "wonders" to a subs mentality. There are times when she knows she's been bad that just hearing me get undressed and the belt buckle clicking will make her start to shake. Of course I gotta take care of that and make sure she's not scared of me all the time but it's a good effect on her when she knows she's been bad and is awaiting punishment.

TensionRoom101

Kink Talk Member
  • Bisexual
  • Male
  • Dominant
A lot depends on the effect you want. I tend not to use whips often, and am more inclined to the use of floggers. I do use single tail floggers on occasion, which have a similar effect to a whip.

It's no simple question to answer though, as different dominants use their tools differently. I am reknowned on the local scene for instance for never leaving marks on the subject when I flog or cane them, and yet have them reacting as though I'd torn the flesh from their backs. Others will break the skin, and hit so, so hard...

Perhaps a better question then is what kind of impact do you like? Stingy or thuddy? Building gently or snapping harshly? Short sharp shocks akin to the schoolmaster's caning or the prolonged caress of a swede flogger.

Mike

Lokelake

Banned
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Private
Apr 1, 2009
I prefer a paddle more. 1. Because they make a nice noise and are very painful (well I assume so, but I never got spanked from a paddle before).

I don't like whips at all mainly because history turned me out that way.

Featured Threads

New Personals