Soft beds or hard beds? (mattresses)

Stitch

Administrator
  • Lesbian
  • Female
  • Submissive
Staff member
Apr 18, 2010
I'll probably be buying a new mattress and I've only ever had soft-medium ones. I got told that hard mattresses would improve your posture and ease any back problems (not that I have any at the moment). Have any of you tried both? If so which ones do you prefer?

sum1

• Straight
  • Male
  • Dominant
Jan 9, 2008
uk
Spent a while on soft foam matresses they're terrible, had the worst back ache ever after that. I prefer a medium-firm too firm i think is as bad for you as a fully soft to be honest.

shadowy

Kinky Newbie
  • Bisexual
  • Male
  • Private
Jul 29, 2010
I agree with sum1. Something in between medium and hard would be better in my opinion. The soft ones are killers on your back, and the hard ones just aren't comfortable.
However, nothing beats a water-bed when you have a bad back or often wake up at night because of bad posture.

story_freak

Kinky Newbie
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Dominant
Sep 30, 2009
Europe
How do you sleep?

the question is, how do you sleep.
If you sleep on your back, it has to harder than if you sleep on the side.

But in a store for matresses they will advise you,. if it is a good store.

HaplessYouth

Kinky Newbie
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Private
Oct 26, 2010
I prefer a soft mattress but it definitely does give you more back and neck problems if you're prone to them. You might want to look into one of those adjustable ones? If thats too pricey, just go sample a few different kinds!

Edit: If you end up with a harder mattress, you can always get a pillowtop cover for it, that makes anything comfy!

shavedrachel

• Bisexual
  • Female
  • Private
Staff member
Sep 28, 2010
Is there a right or wrong type of matress

Often sleep on bed and a quily - find that its colder and comfier near skin especiall if nude or near nude.

Believe my matress is a medium firm (cant be certain)

Love Rachie
However can always sleep somwhere else if needed

Autumn

Kinky Newbie
  • Straight
  • Female
  • Submissive
Jan 14, 2011
Any good store will have staff that should know their products.

when looking for a bed unless you really wish one a firm bed really isn't the way to go. A soft bed isn't necessarily bad it just may not be the right bed for you.

The support in any bed is mainly in the spring system. the pillow tops are just for comfort levels. Whether you decide on a spring system, an all latex mattress I would not recommend a water bed, it is a urban legend that it is good for a bad back as well as a firm being good for a bad back. Trust me I know! ;)

These are questions you need to ask yourself and any salesperson worth their salt should bloody ask them too.

1. Do you have back problems, arthritis, had any surgery or going to have surgery in the near future etc.. Have you had any accidents, do you play a lot of sport if so what kind?

2. What are you use to sleeping on? How does it affect you? if you hurt where?

3. How old is your mattress?

4. How soon do you need your mattress and what is your budget?

5. Is that mattress just for you and your partner (if they have one, if the partner is not with them you ask all the questions in both cases ie: Do either of you have back problems etc) And if your partner is not with you it is advisable to bring your partner in to try with you if possible as the dynamics of a bed come into play with two or more people on a mattress.

6. Do you / or your partner toss and turn all night, are either of you a light sleeper. If one is a light sleeper and the other one tosses and turns they may keep their partner awake, in that case there are a few Mattress designs you could choose from that will help to minimise that so you both get a better sleep ie: individual pocket coils, an all latex mattress, a mattress with no coils, a tempur if you have them in your country etc.

These are all very important questions in finding the right Mattress for the individual/s.

I hope that helps you in some way. The right Mattress for you when you lay down should not cause you any pain. if it does get the hell off it and look for another one! I could go on and on but lets see what the sales person you find says. ;)

Best of luck.. Finding the right mattress is very important for your body. Rest well.!
xx

Featured Threads

New Personals